We’re excited to announce that our upcoming MacKenzie-Childs Barn Sale will include MacKenzie-Childs Barn Sale Style, a four-day celebration of dressing to express your love of our brand, and we’d like to invite everyone to join in the festivities.
Each day, July 18–21, offers a different opportunity to show us your MacKenzie-Childs style. We will reward selected winners with prizes that will surprise and delight.
So, without further ado, here are the themes along with some inspiration to get you thinking about your Barn Sale Style.
We’re known for our black and white Courtly Check, and we know you love this signature pattern as much as we do. But we’d also like to encourage you to dress in Royal Check, our newest check pattern in shades of blue, and Parchment Check, a classic that mixes taupe with jewel tones.
You can wear checked attire from head to toe (yes, we’ve even seen checked socks). Another way to add checks is with our wired Courtly Check ribbon, and here’s a tutorial from visual designer Linda Walker on how to make roses with it.
Courtly Check Ribbon Rose
Courtly Check Ribbon, 2 inches wide and 1 yard long (you can use wider widths, too)
- Fold ribbon in half lengthwise. Bend a 6-inch piece of floral wire in half and twist around one end of the ribbon.
- Wrap the ribbon tightly four times around the wired end to get a tight bud while holding the wire in your other hand.
- Every half inch or so, turn the ribbon to form the petals of the rose. Continue until you have about 2 inches of ribbon left.
- Tuck the end of the ribbon into the last twist and pull through. Secure the end with fabric glue. Shape the rose and add glue here and there to secure it. To finish, trim excess wire and ribbon from back and add a safety pin so you can affix your rose to a hat or a collar.
- Step back and admire your creation. Now you’re ready to say Check Me Out at the MacKenzie-Childs Barn Sale!
Wear your M-C brand loyalty literally on your sleeve with a T-shirt that you design. You can have it printed or paint it yourself. If you want to add embellishments, including beads and fringe, here’s a how-to from Tish Gibson, our lead ceramics decorator. Tish has been with our company for more than 20 years. She’s known around here for her creative dress and how she adds signature style to her MacKenzie-Childs Barn Sale T-shirt.
Go back in time or transport yourself into the future with a costume that you decorate with some M-C touches. How about a ’50s skirt with a Courtly Check poodle? Or a robot decked out in Royal Check? It’s all up to you, but here are three looks that we put together that have a touch of M-C.
- Groovy 1960s Gal: A vintage dress and accessories with a check theme come together for a sunshine statement of style.
- Countess of Courtly Check: Freshen a Halloween costume with a bit of Courtly Check ribbon at the sleeves and bodice. Courtly Check Gift Wrap was added to the crown.
- Fabulous 1920s Flapper: Kick up your heels by adding Courtly Check buttons and Courtly Check ribbon to an old dance costume. You’ll be the bee’s knees.
We love flowers, and we celebrate them in so many of our patterns and products. Add the punch of posies to your attire by gluing flowers to a hat or making a corsage. You can also wear our M-C Floral Crown on your head or around the brim of a hat. Here’s how to make one:
M-C Floral Crown
Variety of silk flowers
Courtly Check Ribbon, 2-inch and 1-inch widths
- Wrap floral wire around your head or around the brim of a hat twice and shape into a circle.
- Cut each flower with 2 to 3 inches of stem. Lay each stem on the wire ring and wrap it to the ring, using floral tape. Add the next flower, laying it on the ring and slightly overlapping the first stem. Wrap with floral tape.
- To add Courtly Check Ribbon, cut a 5-inch piece and fold in half. Lay the ribbon on the wire and wrap it to the ring, using floral tape.
- Continue around the circle, adding flowers in a variety of sizes and colors along with Courtly Check Ribbon.
- To finish, we added a bow and streamers, using 1-inch Courtly Check Ribbon.
- Step back and admire your creation. Now you’re ready to show everyone your Flower Power at the MacKenzie-Childs Barn Sale!